Skip to main content

The Bedford Book of Genres Reading Response

Jacqueline Kulle
Professor Camille Goncalves Vilela dos Santos
ENC2135
10 January 2018
The Bedford Book of Genres Reading Response 
A main focus throughout this reading was the concept of genres, and how to persuade using these different genres to appeal to the audience. I find it interesting how there are so many different genres that anyone can write about it; this makes it simple for someone to easily find something that they enjoy to read. The use of persuasion through genres is also intriguing. Anyone can appeal to a specific audience by focusing a commercial, advertisement, etc. on the genre they desire. Similar to the example given in the reading where Annie L. Burton wrote a memoir about her life, I had to choose a story in my life and present it to my class. The students could choose anyway to demonstrate their story, and I chose to write an essay and read it to the class. To me, an essay format fit best for myself, and I felt I could convey my story more accurately compared to any other format. This is exactly what Burton did when she decided to write a memoir rather than poetry or editorials. The reading discussed rhetorical situation, which always relates to my writings, as well as everyone else's. I always try my best to portray my purpose in writings, be aware of who the audience is, and include emotional appeal, logical facts, and credibility. Last semester, I learned a lot about ethos, pathos, and logos, and had to choose a commercial and write an essay explaining how all of these rhetorical appeals were incorporated in the commercial. This reading taught me more on the importance of being aware of the genre, the design, and style. It is vital to make the reading interesting to read with a clear purpose. Being aware of the audience is also very important. If the audience is more for children it would be important to not use too broad of vocabulary, make it interesting for that age group, etc. 

Comments

  1. I thought it was very interesting that you could choose anyway to tell your story to the class and you chose an essay. Also, I agree with you that you should make your writing interesting for the age group of your audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that you should always be aware of who you are writing to because younger kids won't understand what you are talking about if it's filled with vocabulary words they can' even pronounce.

      Delete
  2. Starting off with a small explanation of genres and using an example of your own was a great way to start this discussion. Giving a personal view to how your thought process was while writing, and how much importance you put on the purpose of your essays makes this discussion very easy to relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is very important to make your writing interesting to read along with also displaying a clear purpose. I found it interesting how you had to choose a commercial and write an essay about how all these rhetorical appeals were incorporated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it is always crucial to determine what exact audience you're writing to. Determining your audience is determining your style and language. With each specific audience, there is both an appropriate way and an inappropriate way to address them. If your style is does not appeal to your audience it is likely that you will be unsuccessful in your goal whether it is to persuade, inform, or whatever your goal as the writer may be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To begin, I enjoyed that you were able to take certain aspects of the chapter and relate it to your personal life and experiences; it made the explanation of the reading more understandable and relatable. Additionally, I agreed when you touched upon the fact that there is basically a genre for anyone when it comes to reading or writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.