Skip to main content

Shitty First Drafts Response

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this piece by Anne Lamott, because it acknowledged the struggles that so many of us experience when starting papers. It was reassuring to read about how even professional writers do not create drafts effortlessly. Beginning a paper is undoubtedly the most difficult part for me personally. The concept of the shitty first draft is merely to get words down on paper, and simply doing this makes the writing process far more coherent in the second and final drafts. Although the first draft will likely be close to nonsense, it creates a springboard for new ideas. Drafting is an essential step in the writing process that I formerly viewed as dreadful, but now I can look at it as a way to formulate stronger ideas and make the paper easier to write. Reading this also provided me with a different perspective on the course; writing those papers now seems a little less daunting than before. I enjoyed Lamott's sense of humor and relatability in the reading as well, and the knowledge gained by reading this will help me when writing not only in this course but also in the future.

Comments

  1. I agree with you that the article took a lot of pressure off of me to make my first draft perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that reading this piece helped me gain a different perspective among the course. I also agree that first drafts are incredibly dreadful but will help relieve stress when writing your paper along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to think of the first draft as just words down on paper and I do agree it takes much of the stress off when you first start writing, as long as it makes sense to the writer then the second and third drafts should come clean and easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree about the reassurance Lamott relayed that even the most professional writers struggle when starting to compose new pieces. I am one that really struggles with starting essays, but the idea of writing multiple drafts seems like a really great idea that i can get behind.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.