Skip to main content

shitty first draft response

Sydney Meyer

          while reading the article shitty first draft I realized that everything she was saying is true. When I have a paper due for any class it is always so hard for me to start the essay. When starting an essay I try to plan in some way whether that's making a chart, writing down any ideas, or even just talking about with someone else. If I turned in my first draft essays my professors would think I'm crazy, mainly because they are just all over the place and need some cleaning up. I liked how at the end of the article she said that the first draft is the down draft where we write anything down on the topic that we can think of. The second draft is called the up draft because that is when we do our best to fix the first draft as best as we can. Finally, the third draft is called the dental draft because we look over everything we make sure that everything in in line and make sense. I thought that the names for these drafts can be helpful to understand what we are supposed to do for each of the drafts that we right.

Comments

  1. Sydney, I completely agree with you that this article really rang true for us college students who must complete drafts and drafts of our work before submitting a final copy. I personally have seen the progression and growth that comes from writing out all your ideas first and drafting your pieces until perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's also very hard for me to start essays too, so hopefully the "shitty first drafts" technique can really help!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.