Skip to main content

Shitty First Drafts Response

After reading Anne Lamott's article "Shitty First Drafts", my previous ideals of turning in a clean, prestige, and polished first draft are over. Lamott shares her own experiences as a writer, along with the frustration and defeat that comes with brainstorming and the lead. Similarly, I and many others share these same feelings. She gives great insight and simplifies first drafts to a T. They are nothing more than the writer's every thought and idea splattered onto the paper, non-organized and messy. Lamott reminds us that it is acceptable to turn in works like these. For almost all of my life, I have had such a concrete mentality of perfection on every occasion--even on first drafts. If I had not polished my draft before turning it in, all I could think of was each mistake that I had made and how I would be critiqued for it. However, Lamott sheds light on common misconception of "perfect" first drafts and encourages writers to lay their ideas on the page, free from repercussions. Overall, I find this article very useful and it has definitely changed my writing techniques and strategies.

Comments

  1. Like you, I myself mistakenly valued the importance of perfection of the first draft. Instead of just laying my ideas out on the table, I made it harder for myself by attempting to completely edit my original ideas all at once. I too will encourage myself to change my writing techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to formerly striving for perfection in first drafts, and now that I think of it, doing that only makes the editing process more difficult since there is less to work with. I agree that Anne Lamott provided great insight on first drafts, and it has changed my personal writing techniques as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Similar to you, I made sure my first drafts were as perfect and polished as possible. This article has also changed my view on first drafts. Making sure the first draft is perfect caused a lot of stress and reduced the amount of time we could have used organizng our writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely relate to dealing with the stress and struggle of turning in a rough draft that I wanted to be perfected and finished so I wouldn't have to fix more in my later drafts. It gave me a lot relief to read this and know that I am not the only one who deals with this, and that a perfect rough draft is never expected. It's good to know that I can just throw unorganized ideas down and it is considered complete.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.