Skip to main content

Navigating Genres

Meghan Hawk
Navigating Genres


Throughout "Navigating Genres" by Kerry Dirk, she explores genre conventions and what it means to adhere to a specific genre, both benefiting and complicating. Dirk personally addresses her concrete audience: college students. By establishing who the readers are, she takes on a conversational tone and even states that she is acting more of a coach, rather than from a third person or impersonal standpoint. This in itself forms its own genre. Collectively as college students we now know what to expect from Dirk--that she is attempting to generate a new response to our take on how we perceive genre. Dirk makes note of "everyday genres" in headlines, which is something in my experience I have not considered to be a genre. However, after reading how The Onion uses it's comedic one-liners to grab their audience and make them laugh, I can see how she came to the realization that these too can be considered genre. Something else that I felt I related to was the general thesis statement and the "rules" that come along with writing them. High school was filled with numerous papers with mandatory theses that felt like a formula. Writing according these algorithms doesn't allow for variation in structure and in truth feels quite constricting. Dirk admits that these often lead her to "very bad writing", and of course, I don't blame her.

Comments

  1. I can relate very much to your statement about the general thesis statement and the rules that follow them because we were taught all through elementary school to high school to use them. After writing those required essay I found myself never being proud of them because I wasn't able to write how I truly wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the fact that Dirk's writing was so conversational, like you said, and it is a genre in itself. I also had never thought of everyday genres before this reading, and it just shows how vast the concept of genre is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you pointed out that Dirk was speaking to college students and therefore changed her rhetoric. And I agree with what you said about the "formula" of writing and that it leads to poor writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the rules and formulas that high school had us follow when we write, and how that doesn't always help papers, but sometimes makes them worse due to the restrictions. I also liked her example of The Onion!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.