Skip to main content

Navigating Genres


Rocio Nicot
ENC2135

This essay, much like the last work we discussed, puts my mind at ease when it comes to creating a piece of writing. With Dirk going into detail about her struggle with putting together the idea of her essay – and how the audience would react to it, plays into the relatability of her character. She speaks on the initial steps of the creation of a genre, and how someone’s initial “free” idea becomes the basis for every piece created after that (in relation to the same genre). This is shown repeatedly throughout history in many forms, such as music – all types or “genres” of music being derived from a previous form. When Dirk moves forward with this idea of a genre, and introduces the idea that a genre is followed based on the expected outcome, it gives a more wholesome view on genres – and how different two pieces under the same genre can be. This plays into the same notion of knowing your audience, and writing to get a specific response. This essay gave me a broader view on genres and helped with the worry I had on making sure what I write fits into a specific box – the box seems like more of a safe space, or idea, and not as exclusive as I had once believed.

Comments

  1. I also believe the essay puts ones mind at ease because Dirk talks about her own struggles as a writer, and how she handles those struggles. I also agree that genres come from and develop from other previous genres. Genres adjust to different periods of times and how society is at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way this article helped me feel like I have more of a range to write things and don't have to fit them in a specific box

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.