Skip to main content

Navigating Genres

Camilla Chavez ENC2135

In the essay, “Navigating Genres” by Kerry Dirk I recognized a correlation between this essay and “Shitty First Drafts.” They both make their audience feel better towards writing and give guidelines that will help students begin their paper. In this essay Dirks purpose was to demonstrate and thoroughly explain genres and show to students how it can be applied into their writing. Dirk uses a controversial tone, which allows the readers to see how a professional writer is struggling in writing to composition students. Dirk states that genres can be in the same genre but can have different story lines, this is what confuses several writers. This allows a composition to be able to fit into many different categories as well. I learned that genres can help tremendously when writing and that they help the essay make sense. Not only did I learn about genres and the effect they have on papers, but I learned that when writing the writer must think about how they want their audience to respond to the text.
 

     

Comments

  1. Camilla, I also noted the similarities between "Navigating Genres" and "Shitty First Drafts" in terms of writing style and the topic being addressed. Like you, I thought that Dirk really highlighted the importance of genres, with their ability to make our writing much easier to compose and and elicit desired responses. I also thought that Dirk saw writing as a vessel to deliver the messages of a writer to an audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The similarities between shitty first drafts and navigating genres are prominent. They both speak on the initial reactions and how to start a good essay. Professional writers have trouble making great products and the way he writes his essay I agree shows this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought that this essay taught writers that when writing, to think about how the audience will respond to the text. It is smart to write in a way that a specifically targeted audience will respond positively. There is definitely similarities between "Shitty First Drafts" and "Navigating Genres" as both authors share their ways of writing, and how they put together compositions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, both pieces were definitely similar in the sense that they both reassure the audience that even professional writers sometimes struggle with their work. I didn't realize just how many genres a piece can fall into, let alone how many things define the genre of a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading Dirk's essay, I also learned that having extensive knowledge on genres allows you to expand your writing to make it more appealing to the readers. I agree that the audience places a very important role when writing and is important to keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.