Skip to main content

Wysocki: The Multimedia of Texts

Meghan Hawk
ENC 2135


After reading "The Multimedia of Texts: How Onscreen and Paper Texts Incorporate Words, Images, and Other Media" by Anne Frances Wysocki, I have gained an understanding of how to create compositions of both script and screen that adhere but also push against the audiences expectations. Wysocki brilliantly analyzes modes of text, images, and various media that serve to be efficient and clear under a rhetorical and contextual approach. What I found to be especially interesting was the evolution of fonts and how each font generates a different response from the audience. Additionally, I never thought about how the size of fonts directly correlated with the intended audience, appealing to their needs and what the font size's purpose will serve. Certain fonts and sizes can dictate how the reader interprets as well as upholds emotional feedback. For example, a very large size and colored font would be appropriate for a child so that there attention is drawn to the word or sentence while still keeping them captivated. Overall, I believe that Wysocki's work is a useful tool to understand the rhetoric of multimedia texts. 

Comments

  1. I agree, I never really thought font was that important and I never really paid attention to how it helped convey a message.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.