Skip to main content

Chapter 6

Sophia Fundora
The assigned reading of chapter six gave better insight on the research that can be done once you've already chosen a topic and written a proposal. Though I already knew that online databases are an amazing source on finding academic research on your topic, I did not know that any person, place or interaction I have that relates to my topic in some way could be seen as a source to be used in my research. I found it interesting that there are different types of sources, like the first few covered- general and specialized academic. The specialized academic in which the source is an academic piece of research written by those credible in the field and reviewed by their fellow peers. These sources cover the topic intensely, give professional opinions and record results from extensive research. Generalized sources would essentially be like articles, that take academic research and interpret it so its much more simpler and easier to understand for the general public. There are also primary, secondary and tertiary sources. Primary deals with someone recounting first-hand experiences, secondary deal with taking an original piece or artifact and analyzing it and finally tertiary sources deal with using various secondary sources. Overall, I learned a lot about the various types of sources at my disposal for the current research paper that I am working on for Project 2.

Comments

  1. I as well did not know that any person I talked to could be used as a source but i guess we have to evaluate how reliable they are.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.