Skip to main content

Chapter 6- Evaluating and choosing sources


Camilla Chavez 

Before reading chapter 6, which talked about evaluating and choosing correct sources, I had gained skills throughout my high school career that helped me select appropriate sources in order to have accurate information in my essays. They talked about several sources. One that I will be using the most when writing my research paper will be a general source. This source is written by experts and non-experts concerning an everyday topic. Since my topic has to do a lot with birth control, this will help me a lot in implementing different point of views on the matter, it will also help me to not be biased towards my topics controversial argument. I will also be using the academic source because it is written by experts who are well informed on a topic. I will be needing this source when stating the pros and cons as well as the effect birth control has. This chapter helped me remember that just because I find a source to be informative and accurate it does not mean it is the correct one to use. I must always look within the sources credibility which requires me to look at the sources citing, what source the author used, and why the source was written and for who. I will be considering a lot of the tips and tools this chapter provided me with when looking for information to input into my essay.

Comments

  1. After reading this, I also agree that general sources will be a source I use a lot. Like you said, this will allow to get different points of view on a specific topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your blog and chapter 6, I agree that the chapter helped inform me that just because I may think a source is a good one to use, does not mean that its going to help me with my paper. I also am going to look more into the sources credibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading the blog post I agree with you that we should always make sure to check the sources credibility to help support our writing better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely always assumed that most sources are credible. After reading this i will also start checking for the credibility of authors and check their works cited!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.