Skip to main content

BBG: Exploring Topics

Mariah McCurry
                In this chapter of Bedford Book of Genres, I read about exploring topics for research papers.  Writing a research paper can be stressful and overwhelming throughout the whole process; however, this chapter identified some ways in which we can start our paper and put together ideas. One of the reasons writing a research paper is so overwhelming is because there are almost unlimited amounts of research and even more resources; BUT, it is important to pick the right topic and the right resources. Some topics may be to vague or maybe some topics are extremely subjective and it is difficult to find true and enough information about that topic. In addition, Since the internet is open to everyone to post and share whatever they think or feel, it is important that a writer picks appropriate sources that are true and accurate. But before one goes onto the research and composing the final paper, they must go through a couple steps.
                It is important to brainstorm ideas and even talk to your peers about the topic or look online for a little bit more information. Like I mentioned before, it is important that you are looking for facts and not opinions. Through preliminary research, you will look up information written by non-experts. After the preliminary research, one should have their topic picked out if it is a viable topic that fits with the assignments. I will definitely use the forming research questions more often because it helps outline what parts of the topic I will research and write about.

                

Comments

  1. I also struggle with choosing a topic, and I agree that you need to double check your resources as it could be providing biased or inaccurate information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good reminder to know to look for facts and not opinion pieces; having reliable sources goes a long way and provides you with more opportunity to expand your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this chapter gives great guidelines for how to start the process of picking a research topic that we'll be successful with. Picking one can be frustrating sometimes but I think this chapter definitely makes it easier to narrow it down.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.