Skip to main content

Shitty First Drafts

Julie Thayer

Shitty First Drafts


I have never been okay with the idea to just “let go and write.” I have always thought to create a great first draft so there will be less work in the following revisions. I took ENC 1101 over this past summer where I also had to read the excerpt “Shitty First Drafts.” Although it was hard, I took the suggestions of this article and because of it became a stronger writer. This excerpt humanized published authors to me. I had always believed that these people could just sit down and write a publishable work on their first try. To my surprise this is untrue, to find out that these authors also struggle with writing from time to time made me feel as if creating a great piece of writing isn’t as hard as I make it out to be. What really helped to improve my writing was just sitting down and writing without stopping to really think about what I was putting on paper. This helps get all my ideas out in front of me, and even if the majority of them are awful, I can always find one or two great ones to build off of. I have also learned to be okay with completely taking out/changing paragraphs of my first draft. Although it is more work, it helps me create a more cohesive piece and it, therefore, made me a better writer. 

Comments

  1. Julie,
    I as well have never been cool with the idea of just writing endlessly with the expectation of either having a natural talent for it or not. I agree that drafting your pieces really does make you a stronger writer and helps you organize your ideas in a better fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to writing my own "shitty first draft," so it's nice to know the technique worked for you! I also agree that this excerpt humanized authors. I never realized they had the same stuggles as regular writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, I've always been reluctant to just start typing without brainstorming ideas, and having a clear idea on where my writing is going. Although the suggestions in this article are helpful and informative, it is going to be difficult to adapt to this way of writing. It is great to know you already have profited as a writer from these suggestions, and I look forward to using them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also thought good writing to professionals just came natural to them. People either are good at something or their not. The word you used to describe them was perfect. This essay 'humanized' good writers. Just getting the ideas that come to mind down is a great way to start an essay.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.