Skip to main content

Shitty First Drafts response

Mary Katherine Rankey


This reading was about an author, Anne Lamott, who explained her writing process and the importance of having a "shitty first draft". She explained that first drafts are in some way the most genuine. They're a draft in which we can basically write whatever we want. Why? Because no no one will ever see the first draft. I loved the way she described having a first draft and in some ways it takes a lot of pressure off to know that even famous authors don't have naturally perfect first drafts. She explained that sometimes she doesn't even want to write and that she doesn't feel inspired, but she still sits down and forces herself to write. Lamott said that when she writes she just lets whatever float out of her. I loved this reading and it gives me ease to know that no one can just sit down and make a beautiful, amazing, perfect first draft. First drafts are meant to get basic ideas out, whereas second and third drafts are meant to fix and perfect. Prior to this reading I would put so much pressure on myself to make even the first draft perfect, but this reading gave me a new insight to what a first draft really should be... flawed!

Comments

  1. I always put insane amounts of pressure on myself when it came to writing. I enjoy writing when I am giving a simple prompt and know exactly what I want to say; however, starting a piece with zero idea of what to write about is extremely torturous to me. I love your interpretation about your new insight of the first draft being flawed! Perfect explanation of what a first draft should and will be!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.