Skip to main content

Shitty First Drafts Discussion


I enjoyed reading “Shitty First Drafts” by Anne Lamott’s because it made me feel less insecure about my writing. She talked about how many experienced writers that have had their work published and viewed by hundreds of people run into the same problems that students run into when constructing a paper. Most people assume that experienced writers sit down for a couple of hours and automatically start writing a perfect piece when they really don’t, they go through the same cycle students do when writing a piece. Beginning a paper is the toughest part in writing a paper because many ideas are all over the place and I am focused on perfecting my first draft so that I do not have to put so much effort into the other drafts when it should be different. A first draft should be a mess but should hold the basic concepts and ideas that one plans on talking about within the paper. Once the first draft has been finalized the other drafts will enable the writer to input more intellectual words as well as fix any grammar problems. Even though a first draft is dreadful, it helps a lot with the papers outcome. I do not enjoy writing as much as other people do and came into this course with a negative mindset but after reading this piece my perspective has changed and I am looking forward to improving my writing. I plan on applying what I learned through this piece to my present life when starting to write a paper.

Comments

  1. This article did shed some light as to what happens behind the works of some of the best selling novels out there and that those exact words did not go on the first draft as planned. It definitely made me feel better about my writings in their first draft phases and I agree that this is indeed the most difficult stage out of all aspects of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Exactly what I said! The way Anne Lamott wrote this piece definitely made me less insecure about my writing. She does a great job reassuring the audience that nobody's first draft is good. Spending too much time trying to perfect the first, or even the second draft, can hurt not only your time management, but your creative process. You have to let your ideas flow before you can worry about perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.