Skip to main content

Really Responding

Meghan Hawk

1. This text surprised me with the amount of thought that goes into critique and praise when peer reviewing a piece of text. I never thought of it as so in depth as this article went to explain in areas like: how much critique, considering the writer, and where specifically to write your comments.
2. I do believe the strategies in this article will allow be to become a better reviewer. Some of the strategies that stuck out to me were how to sound and how we are influenced by what we know about the writer. I think that it is very important not to come off as authoritative when reviewing, but instead give suggestions because like stated in the article, it is the author who wrote it, and you are merely the reader. Also, it is crucial to consider your writer when reviewing because different writers are in different positions and they need different criticism in order to succeed. In other words, no two writers are the same.
3. I have done peer reviews in the past. All of them have been positive and there have been little to no problems with the way I review. However, in the past, I do have to admit that I interject a fair amount of my own opinions on the way the writer portrays theirs, which is unfair, and I need to lay back off of that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.