Skip to main content

Navigating genres

Julie Thayer
Navigating genres

Genres are all around us and used in everything we write; however, I haven’t paid much attention to them until this course and especially this reading. Through telling a joke and even posting to Facebook, you write a certain way to specific people to get a certain response. Being “aware of how genres function” is a new concept to me, and now I realize that it is a very important part of producing a strong piece of writing. I can do this by asking questions to guide my writing such as “what rhetorical moves should I use” for my audience. This is because one’s style of writing should alter to fit their audience to make a more effective paper. The idea of looking at similar works to find common features that I can incorporate within my writing, such as tone, when I find myself writing a new genre can help me better understand and produce this genre. To figure out a genre you must not only consider its form but the context it is being used to create a style that is appropriate for what message you are trying to present to your audience.

Comments

  1. I also never realized how important genres are until I begun this course. I also agree that looking at similar works within a genre can help you understand that genre more in-depth and understand how to write within that genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized from this article that genres are all around us and in everything we write

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that I have never paid much attention to genres in the past, and i plan on adapting my writing skills to focus more on the genre of the piece I am writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.