Skip to main content

Chapter 1


    In chapter one, I learned how to expand my writing to make it more effective. I learned that genres are flexible and can overlap. This was very surpassing to me because I had believed that the genre you choose for your writing must be constant throughout the entirety of one’s paper and that you should only choose one genre to make your paper easier to read. I was already familiar with rhetoric; however, I have never considered the reader's expectations when composing a rhetorical work. If I start writing towards these expectations I can create a more informative, concise, and effect work. I also learned that I should address the readers directly to create a connection with my audience and so I can improve my writing by knowing who I am writing for. I should also match my style of writing to the tone and message I am trying to convey to my audience as how Giladhiz did on his blog post that included a fun relaxed tone to present his casual blog on page 10. Chapter one has made me realize that this semester my writing needs to go more in-depth and be more direct when writing in multiple genres

Comments

  1. I agree that when writing it is essential to the piece that there is one genre throughout. I also am going to strive to keep my style and message of writing compatible this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also, learned genres can overlap. A book, movie, or song can be categorized many ways. I agree this does allow writers to address the reader more directly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.