Skip to main content

Bedford Book of Genres reading

Mary Katherine Rankey
January 10, 2018
ENC 2135


Prior to the reading I thought of a genre as just a box to categorize a work into; however, after the reading I have a better understanding of what a genre truly is. A genre is a means for a creator to get their vision and idea across. In order to get ones idea across they must first begin with focusing on their purpose. After tackling the purpose, the creator must understand their audience. As the reading stated, knowing one's audience is paramount to the effectiveness of a genre. For example, an advertisement on social media would be more effective to reach younger audiences. Once one understands their audience they can employ rhetoric that would suit the audience at hand. Finally, the creator can utilize a certain mode to deliver their idea. Modes may include written text, digital media, or even film. One example from the text that I found interesting was the travel blog post that Giladhiz utilized. I too would do the same if I was traveling across the world! His use of digital media as a mode made it easily and quickly accessible for other to follow his journey. He made his blog personal and added visual touches, such as a photo of himself. I never really took the time to discover and think of all the ways there are to express ones idea. The flexibility of genres allows one to discover a way that would best suit them. For example, one may prefer creating a written memoir and one may enjoy the digital blog. Personally, I prefer the creativity that a blog allows and would choose that to express an idea over a memoir or essay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Activity March 27, 2018

My writing process for project 2 was different from project 1 because I had to conduct research towards my argumentative topic. I also was required to use the Florida State university database in order to find peer-reviewed article that would provide me with correct information. This essay also had several sources whom mad me sound more credible towards my audience, which enabled me to write more about my topic. The personally think that writing a first draft and then revising it in order for it to be my final draft to be very helpful when writing a research essay. I was able to carefully go over any grammatical or punctuation errors as well as make sure that all my sentences made sense and were not random. I enjoyed project 2 the most because I was required to conduct research on my topic, which allowed me to expand my knowledge towards an argument that is personal to me and it made me sound even more credible when discussing this argument face to face with someone.

The Bedford Book of Genres

Throughout chapter 1 of “The Bedford Book of Genres,” I learned that there are a variety of ways to improve one’s writing. Several writers tend to get carried away while writing that they forget who their audience is and what message they are trying to deliver. This is when one must ask themselves what their purpose of writing is, do they want to present a narrative/ tell a story, inform, or persuade. After figuring out ones purpose they must choose a genre to be able to shorten their idea and be concise. In order for this to occur one must know the basic qualities and agreed-upon rules about the genre they are composing. Once one makes those decisions they move on to the rhetorical situation which mainly explains the idea. This allows the writer to provide support on their purpose such as saying what is great about it or provide statistics, which will automatically make their writing more interesting for the audience to read, as well as, get t...
Jamica Williams What are some subversion examples the author mentions? A few books the the author mentions It's just a plant, Heather has two Mommies, and Gloria Goes Gay Can you think of other 2 books or movies that are subversion? Scary movie 1 and 2 Why are they subversion? Scary movie is subversive because it takes into account the the rhetorical factors in most scary movies and joke on them. Its more of a comedy than a "scary" movie. Each of the characters do exactly whats expected. They run the opposite way like up the stairs, trip and fall multiple times, and even live with the ghost that is haunting them. What do you think "GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP?" Who should be the target audience for this book? The audience of this book is any adult/parent. Because its probably R-Rated its targeted to older people, and anyone can find this humorous.